Position Title: Argumentative Writing Project: Research Implementation Manager
Location: This position will initially work from home and engage with staff and stakeholders through virtual platforms, as Mikva Challenge is working remotely during the COVID pandemic. As business returns to in-person activities, this position will likely include travel to conduct research with teachers and students in a chosen school district, but could continue to work remotely if needed.
Reports to: Executive Director of Mikva Challenge, DC, who is managing the Argumentative Writing Project
Schedule: This is a grant-funded, one year full-time contract position that will run from June 2021 through June 2022. There is potential for this position to be extended dependent on grant renewal.
About the Organization
Mikva Challenge is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization whose mission is to develop youth to be empowered, informed, and active citizens and community members who will promote a just and equitable society. We are a dynamic youth empowerment agency that provides middle and high school students with unique civic learning opportunities and hands-on experiences in community organizing, public policy advocacy, and youth activism programs. We do this by engaging youth in Action Civics, an authentic and transformative learning process built on youth voice and youth expertise.
Mikva Challenge evaluations show the lasting impact of its programs.
- 82% of students reported an increase in their civic knowledge.
- 77% of students developed their sense of civic agency and increased their future commitment to civic action.
- 83% of students took on new civic leadership.
- 79% of students reported gains in their socio-emotional skills — many of which have direct academic outcomes.
About the Position
This position is a special, one-year, grant funded role to manage the research implementation process for an exciting new project at Mikva Challenge. There is the potential this grant could be renewed, and that the position would continue, dependent on grant funding. With support and investment from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Mikva Challenge is developing an aligned English Language Arts (ELA) component to our Issues to Action and Project Soapbox curriculum. The focus of this work is on secondary ELA classrooms, with an emphasis on argumentative writing around authentic topics built around Mikva’s Action Civics pedagogy and practice.
The primary responsibilities for the Research Manager will be coordinating and facilitating the Student Advisory Board to collect student input on this project during the summer of 2021, working closely with the Teacher Advisory Board, and implementing the research protocols developed by Mikva and Mathematica, a leading research and evaluation organization, to collect student and teacher feedback during the 2021-22 school year.
- Recruit, Coordinate and Facilitate the Student Advisory Board: Develop a process for recruiting Mikva student leaders from existing programs to serve on this new Student Advisory Board. In collaboration with the Mikva DC ED and Chief Education Officer, pilot new activities and lessons built to gather input from students on this new Argumentative Writing Project.
- Synthesize Student Feedback from the Student Advisory Board: Create regular reports and presentations that synthesize the learnings from the Student Advisory Board.
- Implement Designed Research Protocols: Starting in the fall of 2021, implement teacher surveys and interviews and student surveys and focus groups with the classroom participating in the Argumentative Writing Project. Research tools will be developed in advance, but this position will require strong relationship and facilitation skills to implement the research tools and strong writing and analytical skills to synthesize the data and feedback.
- Act as a Collaborative Project Lead: This position will coordinate with the Curriculum Developer, Facilitators of the Teacher Advisory Board and the lead manager for this Argumentative Writing Project at all stages of the work, and gather input and best practices from various Mikva staff across the organization. ● Other duties as assigned
- EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required, Masters in Education or related field preferred.
- 3-5 years of relevant experience, with a strong background in project management, youth facilitation and teacher support.
- Experience running focus groups, interviews and/or administering surveys preferred.
- Experience working in a school setting or youth serving organizations
- Proven ability to facilitate: argumentative writing lessons, activities focusing on identity and agency and focus groups with middle school and high school students of color.
- Experience synthesizing results from focus groups, model lessons, interviews and surveys for written reports, presentations and program improvement. ● Excellent written and oral communication skills that are effective with a diverse range of audiences including middle and high school students, teachers, nonprofit colleagues and external partners.
- Strong relationship and partnership management skills to establish rapport with teachers, students and District officials.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and implement a collaborative project, gathering input from colleagues and acting as project manager
- Demonstrated skills in project management, scheduling, attention to detail and data management systems.
- Action-oriented and entrepreneurial self-starter who can work well independently and in team, and has experience managing multiple project independently
- Strong digital data management skills with both Mac and PC environments and proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and other databases.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a one year position. The salary range for this position is $60,000 to $75,000, commensurate with experience and cost of living index. We also offer a competitive benefits package.
How to Apply
Please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with Argumentative Writing Project: Research Implementation Manager in the subject line. Please, no phone calls. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Mikva Challenge is an equal opportunity employer and we highly value diversity in our workplace. Mikva Challenge provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, political affiliation, marital status, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors.
Applicants from historically underrepresented and/or marginalized communities, including people of color, are strongly encouraged to apply.