Position Title: Director of Communications
Office Location: This position will initially work from home and engage with staff and stakeholders through virtual platforms, as Mikva Challenge is working remotely during the COVID pandemic. As business returns to in-person, this position will return to the office. The ideal candidate will be based in Chicago, IL or Washington, DC. This position is not eligible for relocation.
Reports to: Chief of Strategy & Impact
About the Organization
Mikva Challenge is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization whose mission is to develop youth to be empowered, informed, and active citizens and community members who will promote a just and equitable society. We are a dynamic youth empowerment agency that provides middle and high school students with unique civic learning opportunities and hands-on experiences in community organizing, public policy advocacy, and youth activism programs. We do this by engaging youth in Action Civics, an authentic and transformative learning process built on youth voice and youth expertise.
Mikva Challenge evaluations show the lasting impact of its programs.
- 82% of students reported an increase in their civic knowledge.
- 77% of students developed their sense of civic agency and increased their future commitment to civic action.
- 83% of students took on new civic leadership.
- 79% of students reported gains in their socio-emotional skills — many of which have direct academic outcomes.
About the Position
Mikva Challenge is seeking a Director of Communications to develop and implement a communications strategy through a broad and diverse range of platforms and materials. This position is the leader in amplifying our students’ voices and the story of our impacts on students, teachers, schools, the community and our democracy. This position will develop and guide implementation of a multi-dimensional plan for amplifying the stories and impacts of the Mikva work to multiple audiences of stakeholders including donors, public officials, educational leaders and the general public.
- Lead the creation of Mikva’s national brand platform and marketing strategy
- Create and execute a robust public relations and media outreach strategy
- Collaborate with CEO, executive leadership and board of directors to ensure organizations communications plan aligns with the mission statement
- Manage organizations communications and branding in various online and print platforms
- Maintain Mikva’s website including methods to deliver messages, ease of navigation, and clarity of information; ensures that all content is current and relevant
- Create engaging content and media materials consistent with Mikva’s brand messaging such as media pitches, case studies, contributed articles, and other items that attract attention and generate interest
- Manage Mikva’s social media
- Establish, track, and report on key metrics to effectively measure the progress and performance of all communications and public relations initiatives and efforts
- Meet regularly with program staff to effectively represent Mikva’s programs to external audiences
- Act as organizations spokesperson and responds to members of the media in a timely manner; compose and distribute press releases as needed
- Develop and maintain positive professional relationships with various members of the media
- Assist executive leadership in developing presentations, speeches, and other important organizational messages
- Provide suggestions concerning graphics, clarity, distribution, and press releases to departments for preparation of the organization’s reports
- Develop, implement, and adhere to communications budget
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing or related field required.
Four to six years of progressive experience in public relations, communications and marketing required or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Exceptional concept-development, writing, and editing skills
- Strong working knowledge of traditional and social media tactics and channels
- Exceptional workflow and project management skills
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent time management skills with proven ability to meet deadlines
- Superior ability to write in a journalistic style that is customary for professional and external publications
- Ability to offer sound media relations advice to senior leadership
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite or related software
- Ability to work with senior management, employees, media, and the larger community
- Ability to coordinate efforts of various teams in order to present a coherent message
- Ability to handle confidential matters with discretion
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $60,000 – $70,000 annually commensurate with experience. We also offer a competitive benefits package.
How to Apply
Please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Director of Communications” in the subject line. Please, no phone calls. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Mikva Challenge is an equal opportunity employer and we highly value diversity in our workplace. Mikva Challenge provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, political affiliation, marital status, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors. Applicants from historically underrepresented and/or marginalized communities, including people of color, are strongly encouraged to apply.