Elections in Action Programming Coordinator
Location: Due to COVID-19 protocols, this position will be hybrid, working both in the downtown Chicago office as well as remotely, engaging with staff and stakeholders through virtual platforms. This position is not eligible for relocation.
Reports to: Director of Strategic Initiatives
Mikva Challenge is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization whose mission is to develop youth to be empowered, informed, and active citizens and community members who will promote a just and equitable society. We do this by engaging youth in Action Civics, an authentic and transformative learning process built on youth voice and youth expertise. Youth in Mikva’s programming experience unique civic learning opportunities in political campaigns, public policy advocacy, government internships, and youth activism programs. Our approaches include direct youth work, teacher support, and liaising with civic leaders and institutions. We believe strongly in the potential of youth and are committed to youth power and voice.
Mikva Challenge evaluations show the lasting impact of its programs.
82% of students reported an increase in their civic knowledge.
77% of students developed their sense of civic agency and increased their future commitment to civic action.
83% of students took on new civic leadership.
79% of students reported gains in their socio-emotional skills — many of which have direct academic outcomes.
About the Position
Mikva Challenge is seeking a candidate with a passion for electoral and youth leadership work to join us as an Elections in Action Coordinator. During the school year, this coordinator will primarily support Illinois teachers in their work to empower students in their classrooms and afterschool clubs to become informed about and engaged in each election cycle (virtually and/or in person). During the summer months, they will support the Mikva Summer Fellows program that recruits, places, supports and runs weekly workshops for 60 students to serve in paid six-week internships with elected officials offices.
The ideal candidate for this position is a well-rounded, detail-oriented, self-motivated individual who can build relationships with both youth and adults (online and in person) and manage complex data sets. This person will work on developing and sustaining excellent working relationships with political campaigns, public officials, community leaders, administrators, teachers and students from high schools across Chicago.
- Recruit and support teachers as they help students to become informed about/engaged in the election and/or to analyze and take action to address a community issue
- Assist with logistics and facilitation of multiple trips and events (virtual and in person) for youth and teachers
- Assist in the creation and regular distribution of curricular tools and resources
- Recruit for and facilitate afterschool programming (usually campaigning) and build strong, positive relationships with participants
- Support the planning and facilitation of Chicago’s Mikva Summer Fellows programming while maintaining compliance with all requirements of a new funder
- Oversee the Student Election Judge program, which is the largest of its kind nationwide and entails liaising between the Board of Elections and teachers to recruit and train 1500+ students to serve as Election Judges each election.
- Support the organization’s development, communications, and evaluation work as necessary
- Other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1+ election cycle of field work on a campaign (paid or volunteer)
- 1+ years experience in education, youth programming, and/or campaign field organizing
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products (Excel and Word), Google Workspace (including Yet Another Mailmerge) and Zoom.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Research skills and the ability to independently research a topic/issue
- Group facilitation: 20 – 25 youth
- Solid knowledge of Chicago schools, government, youth, dialogue across difference, and/or electoral politics (or an interest in becoming an expert in these areas)
- Knowledge of Positive Youth Development strategies and values
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Adept at working independently as well as on a team
- Demonstrate and inspire cooperation, collaboration, reliability, and professionalism
- Work effectively in changing situations and with diverse groups and issues
- Inspire individual and organizational excellence
- Establish and maintain professional contacts to build, enhance, and connect networks to Mikva Challenge
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $40,000 – $50,000 annually commensurate with experience. We also offer a competitive benefits package.
How to Apply
Please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Elections in Action Programming Coordinator” in the subject line. No phone calls please. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Candidates should be prepared to offer three professional references upon request. Candidates are required to complete a background screening prior to hire.
Mikva Challenge is an equal opportunity employer and we highly value diversity in our workplace. Mikva Challenge provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, political affiliation, marital status, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors.
Applicants from historically underrepresented and/or marginalized communities, including people of color, are strongly encouraged to apply.