Position Title: Executive Assistant
Office Location: Due to COVID-19 protocols, this position will be hybrid, working both in the Chicago, IL office as well as remotely, engaging with staff and stakeholders through virtual platforms. The Executive Assistant will work in the office on the days that the CEO does, which is typically 2-3 days per week. This position is not eligible for paid relocation.
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Mikva Challenge is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization whose mission is to develop youth to be empowered, informed, and active citizens and community members who will promote a just and equitable society. We do this by engaging youth in Action Civics, an authentic and transformative learning process built on youth voice and youth expertise. Youth in Mikva’s programming experience unique civic learning opportunities in political campaigns, public policy advocacy, government internships, and youth activism programs. Our approaches include direct youth work, teacher support, and liaising with civic leaders and institutions. We believe strongly in the potential of youth and are committed to youth power and voice.
Mikva Challenge evaluations show the lasting impact of its programs.
82% of students reported an increase in their civic knowledge.
77% of students developed their sense of civic agency and increased their future commitment to civic action.
83% of students took on new civic leadership.
79% of students reported gains in their socio-emotional skills — many of which have direct academic outcomes.
About the Position
Mikva Challenge is seeking an experienced Executive Assistant to provide high-quality, comprehensive and proactive support to the CEO, Board of Directors, and other senior staff members. The ideal candidate is highly professional, upbeat, organized, flexible, able to build strong relationships and work decisively with limited oversight. Commitment to our mission and values is essential for success in this role.
- Provide high-level administrative support, calendar management and assistance to the CEO and/or other assigned leadership staff.
- Manage the CEO’s appointment schedule by prioritizing, planning and scheduling meetings, conferences, teleconferences, and travel, allowing for time management and work block opportunities
- Support fundraising efforts by working with the development team to ensure that the CEO and other leadership personnel are prepared for meetings with foundation staff and donors, as well as ensuring that timely follow up occurs;
- Perform clerical and administrative tasks including drafting letters, memos, invoices, reports, and other documents; collecting and analyzing information; and initiating communications;
- Schedule and make preparation for meetings including organization, catering, preparation, audio/ video, technology, etc.
- Attend meetings with or on behalf of the CEO, when requested, taking notes and recording minutes;
- Serve as a liaison between the CEO and team leads, ensuring optimal communication and flow of information;.
- Maintain constituent confidence and protect operations by managing information and situations with a high level of confidentiality and discretion;
- Process requests within 24 hours of receipt and resolve issues in a timely and professional manner;
- Receives incoming communication or memos on behalf of CEO, reviews contents, determines importance, and summarizes and/or distributes contents to appropriate staff.
- Manage and Support the National Board & Board Committees to include:
- Support the CEO and the Chief of Strategy and Impact in preparing for and debriefing quarterly Advisory Board Meetings and national board meetings;
- Take minutes at board meetings and manage Board Docs; manage distribution of materials for the advisory board meetings and retreats;
- Manage communications with all Board Committees;
- Support the Board Chair in updating Board materials
- Collaborate with the Operations Team to identify and execute administrative tasks and identify opportunities for process improvement.
- Provide ad hoc support as needed to other teams and programs across the organization.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
High school diploma required; Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related field preferred.
Four years of administrative/executive assistant experience supporting upper-level management. Prior experience working for a non-profit is preferred.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent time management skills with proven ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment.
- Experience managing multiple calendars
- Ability to work independently as well as on a team.
- Strong relationship and partnership cultivation skills to build rapport with existing and potential stakeholders.
- Strong digital data management skills with both Mac and PC environments
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, Google Workspace, or similar software with the ability to learn new or updated software.
- Able to type 50 words per minute
- Ability to handle confidential matters with discretion
- Fosters cooperation by acknowledging team accomplishments and giving and welcoming constructive feedback
- Clearly defines roles and responsibilities when leading projects
- Deals with conflict directly and empathetically
- Follows through with established expectations and commitments made to others
- Demonstrates punctuality, courtesy, and professionalism
- Demonstrates an open mind and tailored approach in new situations
- Adapts to and supports major changes that challenge traditional ways of operating
- Adapts interpersonal style to diverse individuals and groups in a range of situations
- Demonstrates ability and seeks opportunities to learn and apply new skills
- Pursues own and supports others’ ideas for improving work
- Achieves win-win outcomes for diverse stakeholders
- Exhibits confidence in self and others
- Meets challenges with resourcefulness and good problem solving
- Participates in fundraisers and other large events
- Contributes to establishing and maintaining productive partnerships with partners
- Effectively communicates own role and the organization’s mission to partners and connects partners to key staff when appropriate
- Adheres to internal deadlines for projects, communicating progress and obstacles to everyone involved
- Ensures quality and economic viability of work
- Divides project tasks amongst self and others to match skills and available time
- Takes independent actions and calculated risks
- Manages multiple tasks effectively by establishing and changing priorities
- Listens actively to gain and build on understanding, and asks for clarification when necessary.
- Tailors communication (content, style, medium) to diverse audiences
- Proofreads written work for spelling and grammar
- Uses data to engage with diverse audiences
- Keeps others informed of own work and role
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $50,000 – $64,000 commensurate with experience. We offer a competitive benefits package that includes paid vacation and sick leave, medical, dental, vision, 401K, disability and life insurance.
Additionally, we offer an additional two weeks of paid time off for scheduled organization downtime.
How to Apply
Please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Executive Assistant” in the subject line. Please, no phone calls. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Mikva Challenge is an equal opportunity employer and we highly value diversity in our workplace. Mikva Challenge provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, political affiliation, marital status, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors.
Applicants from historically underrepresented and/or marginalized communities, including people of color, are strongly encouraged to apply.