Position Title: Issues to Action Program Manager – DC
Office Location: This position will initially work from home and engage with staff and stakeholders through virtual platforms, as Mikva Challenge is working remotely during the COVID pandemic. As business returns to in-person, this position will return to the office. This position is not eligible for relocation.
Reports to: Chief Education Officer
About the Organization
Mikva Challenge is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization whose mission is to develop youth to be empowered, informed, and active citizens and community members who will promote a just and equitable society. We are a dynamic youth empowerment agency that provides middle and high school students with unique civic learning opportunities and hands-on experiences in community organizing, public policy advocacy, and youth activism programs. We do this by engaging youth in Action Civics, an authentic and transformative learning process built on youth voice and youth expertise.
Mikva Challenge evaluations show the lasting impact of its programs.
- 82% of students reported an increase in their civic knowledge.
- 77% of students developed their sense of civic agency and increased their future commitment to civic action.
- 83% of students took on new civic leadership.
- 79% of students reported gains in their socio-emotional skills — many of which have direct academic outcomes.
About the Position
Mikva Challenge is seeking a Program Manager to manage the implementation of Mikva’s Issues to Action program in our chapters. We are looking for an educator or youth worker with an interest in youth civic engagement and civic education. A good relationship builder with youth and adults, this individual should possess a strong belief in the potential of youth, as well as a commitment to youth power and voice, and respect for teachers. The ability to successfully partner with educators, community based organizations, not for profit partners, and other stakeholders is critical. Strong facilitation and communication skills are important. This position will work closely with local teachers. The position is a limited term (August, 2021 through June, 2022) full-time position.
- Manage the Issues to Action program in local middle and high schools.
- Recruit teachers to participate in our Action Civics programs
- Visit schools throughout year to facilitate lessons or activities that will help students and teachers on their projects
- Assist teachers in bringing speakers and additional resources to the classroom related to their work
- Plan and lead Mikva citywide youth events, such as the citywide Project Soapbox competition and Action Civics Fair
- Coordinate the local evaluations process in accordance with Mikva standards and procedures.
- Assist in the communication of success stories and the cultivation of funding
- Engage in Mikva’s organization effort to strengthen the racial justice and equity focus of Mikva’s work.
- Assist with other programmatic events and duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience. Masters degree preferred.
Three to five of experience in program development and management, youth facilitation and education required or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in youth civic engagement, youth development and the political process preferred
- Experience in event and volunteer management is preferred
- Possess a high level of enthusiasm, energy, and creativity
- Ability to work independently as well as on a team or in a collaborative environment
- Strong digital data management skills with both Mac and PC environments
- Proficiency in Google Suite, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and similar databases
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $50,000 – $65,000 annually commensurate with experience. We also offer a competitive benefits package.
How to Apply
Please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Issues to Action Program Manager – DC” in the subject line. Please, no phone calls. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Mikva Challenge is an equal opportunity employer and we highly value diversity in our workplace. Mikva Challenge provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, political affiliation, marital status, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors. Applicants from historically underrepresented and/or marginalized communities, including people of color, are strongly encouraged to apply.