Position Title: Major Gifts Officer, Full-time
Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Mikva Challenge is a national nonpartisan, nonprofit organization whose mission is to develop youth to be informed, empowered, and active citizens and community leaders who will promote a just and equitable society. Mikva Challenge has chapters in California, Washington, DC and Chicago. Mikva has Partner Sites in Cobb County, GA, Prince George’s County, MD, Madison, WI, Milwaukee, WI, Detroit Metropolitan Area, MI, Rochester, NY, Wilmington, DE, Baltimore County, MD, New York City, NY. The organization continues to grow, informed by an aggressive National Grown Campaign.
Mikva engages youth in action civics, an authentic and transformative learning process built on youth voice and expertise. We are a dynamic youth empowerment agency that provides adolescents with unique civic learning opportunities and “hands-on” experiences in political campaigns, public policy advocacy, government internships, and youth activism programs. Our approaches include direct youth work, teacher support, and liaising with civic leaders and institutions. A strong belief in the potential of youth and a commitment to youth power and voice are key. Enthusiasm, energy, flexibility, and the ability to work independently as well as on a team are also important qualities for the right candidate.
The Major Gifts Officer (MGO) is a critical position supporting the rapid national growth of Mikva Challenge. The MGO may work remotely but must reside in a key region (Chicago, DC, Boston, San Francisco, or New York) to facilitate donor visits and support of program and fundraising events throughout the country and throughput the year. Reporting to the Chief Development Officer (CDO), the MGO will be responsible for managing a comprehensive fundraising portfolio that includes mid-level and top-level prospects and donors.
The MGO is responsible for qualifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding gifts from individual donors. This is a new position that has been created to grow our major gifts program during our Growth Campaign. The successful candidate will enjoy meeting face to face with donors to share our exciting and meaningful work and will solicit, secure and steward these donors’ financial support.
The candidate will be a driven, entrepreneurial development professional who is the consummate team player and has a demonstrated track record of success in personally raising funds across a spectrum of donors, especially individuals. The MGO will have direct responsibility for a donor portfolio, including identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship. This position requires a motivated self-starter with a demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects, the creativity to generate new ideas, and the strategic depth to maintain and grow a dynamic, compelling major gift program. The MGO should be mission driven, have excellent communication skills, and have a track record of fostering and building relationships.
- Creatively contribute to the implementation and expansion of Mikva’s ambitious fundraising efforts.
- Support cross-functional collaboration, aligning across national, chapter and partner site teams on strategy and goals.
- Research and identify new prospects; cultivate, solicit and steward a portfolio of major gifts prospects with the ability to make gifts of $25,000+ annually; and support the senior leadership and Board of Directors in their engagement of major donor prospects.
- Plan and execute multiple prospecting visits to our service regions including key priority regions (New York, Chicago, Boston, DC, and Bay Area) in partnership with the CDO and President when appropriate.
- Utilize a moves management system for all donor segments to drive and stabilize revenue growth.
- Help staff development committee(s) and network of volunteers to support fundraising efforts.
- Write and prepare quality donor communications including proposals, meeting presentations, and donor profiles and strategies, correspondence, and reports.
- Support philanthropic volunteer committees in high activity pockets of the Mikva footprint to provide local communities with Mikva philanthropic ambassadors.
- Represent Mikva at special events, business networking events, and community outreach events.
- Assist with the development of the revenue budget and participate in the creation of the annual development plan.
- Bachelor’s Degree and minimum of 5-7 years of education and development, major gift fundraising, and related professional experience.
- At least three years experience closing major gifts of +$25K.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices associated with fundraising in the areas of personal solicitation, donor relations, direct mail and special events.
- Presents as an effective communicator and natural “connector” with a demonstrated ability to work with people at all levels to advance an organization’s mission.
- Successful track record working in a moves management system.
- Strong organizational and planning skills and the ability to think strategically and creatively.
- Ability to interact with a diverse and varied constituency, as well as the capacity to motivate and collaborate successfully with board members, volunteers, and colleagues across functions.
- Ability to work in a high-energy organization; a team player willing to take on new challenges and who demonstrates ability to partner across all organizational levels and departments.
- Self-starter with extraordinary organizational skills and ability to prioritize and meet deadlines in a time-sensitive environment with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Capable of directing and working effectively with donors, volunteers, staff and committees in a wide range of activities while under pressure and/or deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively across disciplinary and interdisciplinary lines, and to interact successfully with a diverse constituency of varying backgrounds.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Proximity to major airport and ability to travel throughout the United States; willing to travel extensively for prospect meetings and events.
- Familiarity with prospecting tools.
- Experience building relationships with major donors.
- Experience managing a portfolio of 100-125 major gift prospects and donors.
- Excellent written, oral communications and interpersonal skills.
- Strong negotiation and presentation skills.
- Extensive experience in recruiting, training, and motivating high level volunteers.
Must be able to demonstrate the following competencies –
- Demonstrating and inspiring cooperation, collaboration, reliability, and professionalism
- Working effectively in changing situations and with diverse groups and issues
- Inspiring individual and organizational excellence
- Establishing and maintaining professional contacts to build, enhance, and connect networks to Mikva Challenge
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams and drive collaborative work
- Strong presentation and group facilitation skills
- Proficiency in MS Office (especially Excel and PowerPoint) and Google Apps
This is a full-time position and it includes a competitive salary and generous benefits package. Candidates should be prepared to offer three professional references and a writing sample upon request. Review of applications will begin immediately. Email your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com.
No phone calls will be accepted!
At Mikva Challenge, we celebrate difference and are committed to providing equitable opportunities, addressing the effects of power and privilege. Mikva Challenge is proud to be an equal employment opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, gender, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other factor covered by federal, state, or local statutes. We want to create an empowering space to change lives!