Position Title: Manager of Finance and Operations
Office Location: This position will initially work remotely and engage with staff and stakeholders through virtual platforms, as Mikva Challenge is working remotely during the COVID pandemic. As business returns to in-person, the position will be located onsite at Mikva Challenge’s downtown Chicago office. This position is not eligible for relocation.
Reports to: Director of Finance and Operations
About the Organization
Mikva Challenge is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization whose mission is to develop youth to be empowered, informed, and active citizens and community members who will promote a just and equitable society. We are a dynamic youth empowerment agency that provides middle and high school students with unique civic learning opportunities and hands-on experiences in community organizing, public policy advocacy, and youth activism programs. We do this by engaging youth in Action Civics, an authentic and transformative learning process built on youth voice and youth expertise.
Mikva Challenge evaluations show the lasting impact of its programs.
- 82% of students reported an increase in their civic knowledge.
- 77% of students developed their sense of civic agency and increased their future commitment to civic action.
- 83% of students took on new civic leadership.
- 79% of students reported gains in their socio-emotional skills — many of which have direct academic outcomes.
About the Position
The Manager of Finance and Operations will serve as the organization’s financial and operations manager, overseeing the daily accounting and financial management, as well as office management. Reporting to the Director of Finance and Operations, this position involves working closely with the Mikva Challenge Executive Management to provide accurate and timely financial and organizational communications to these stakeholders. In addition, this position requires management of administrative staff and vendors. The Manager of Finance and Operations should also be a strategic thinker who can help develop and implement effective organizational systems to improve the operation and financial management of an organization that has been growing at a steady rate.
The Manager of Finance and Operations should have progressive experience in finance and operational management of non-profit accounting systems. This individual should possess excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and have strong communication ability. The Manager of Finance and Operations should have a passion for the mission of Mikva Challenge, an organization that revolves around youth civic engagement and empowering high-need Chicago youth.
- Prepare all end of month and year end schedules and work with an external Accountant to ensure timely month and year end closings
- Prepare and record journal entries
- Oversee Accounts Receivable including maintaining restricted net asset schedule
- Lead the monthly revenue reconciliation process with the Finance and Development teams
- Serve as the primary contact for annual independent audit, managing the process from start-to-finish including preparation of schedules or reports
- Work with department leads to prepare the organization’s overall operating and departmental budgets and perform monthly budget vs actual analysis
- Prepare and submit grant requirements including but not limited to the quarterly and final financial status report
- Oversee all financial reporting for tax and grant purposes, including overseeing annual 990 process with external auditor, and submitting financial reports as required on grant spending
- Perform ad hoc financial analysis and modeling
- Oversee contracts to ensure compliance with relevant organizational policies and requirements
- Assist with the preparation of quarterly board materials
- Supervise the Finance and Operations Coordinator
- Serve as back-up to the Assistant Director of Finance
- Other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree in accounting or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Minimum three to five years of accounting and/or operations experience required. The ideal candidate will have more than 3 years of broad-based financial and administrative management experience.
- Highly proficient in not for profit financial management, including the ability to produce and analyze financial information related to the operations of the organization
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Experience with Accufund, QuickBooks, Sage, MIP, Raisers Edge or other accounting systems
- Advanced Excel skills and familiarity with MS Office Suite and Google Docs
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Tech savvy and able to use technology to streamline operations effectively
- Successful experience in supervising and coaching a diverse team of varying skill levels
- Collaborative working style
- Ability to organize, multi-task, and prioritize
- Careful attention to detail
- A track record of being a resourceful and creative self-starter in tackling challenges, and of questioning conventional wisdom
- Outstanding project management skills
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $50,000 – $64,000 annually commensurate with experience. We also offer a competitive benefits package.
How to Apply
Please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Manager of Finance and Operations” in the subject line. Please, no phone calls. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Mikva Challenge is an equal opportunity employer and we highly value diversity in our workplace. Mikva Challenge provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, political affiliation, marital status, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors.
Applicants from historically underrepresented and/or marginalized communities, including people of color, are strongly encouraged to apply.