Operations Coordinator (Temporary)
Location: Due to COVID-19 protocols, this position will be hybrid, working both in the downtown Chicago office as well as remotely, engaging with staff and stakeholders through virtual platforms. This position is not eligible for relocation.
Reports to: Assistant Director of Finance
About the Organization
Mikva Challenge is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization whose mission is to develop youth to be empowered, informed, and active citizens and community members who will promote a just and equitable society. We do this by engaging youth in Action Civics, an authentic and transformative learning process built on youth voice and youth expertise. Youth in Mikva’s programming experience unique civic learning opportunities in political campaigns, public policy advocacy, government internships, and youth activism programs. Our approaches include direct youth work, teacher support, and liaising with civic leaders and institutions. We believe strongly in the potential of youth and are committed to youth power and voice.
Mikva Challenge evaluations show the lasting impact of its programs.
82% of students reported an increase in their civic knowledge.
77% of students developed their sense of civic agency and increased their future commitment to civic action.
83% of students took on new civic leadership.
79% of students reported gains in their socio-emotional skills — many of which have direct academic outcomes.
About the Position
The Operations Coordinator will support the day-to-day operational aspects of Mikva summer programs, including collecting youth employment documents, signed MOU’s from employers/worksites, reviewing timesheets, and assisting with audit preparation.
This is a part-time temporary position starting in April 2022 and continuing through September 2022.
The Operations Coordinator must be a highly skilled administrative professional capable of providing a wide range of support services to the Assistant Director of Finance and Executive management. The Operations Coordinator must be flexible, extremely efficient, organized, resourceful and able to function well in a fast-paced environment. This position requires the ability to exercise independent judgment and strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to interface with many personalities under the supervision of the Assistant Director of Finance. Enthusiasm, energy, flexibility, and the ability to work independently as well as on a team are also important qualities of the ideal candidate.
- Provide basic administrative assistance and serving as back-up to Operations team
- Maintain and review documents for grant compliance
- Prepare and retrieve information for annual audit
- Order and inventory of supply requests for council sessions
- Fulfill transit card requests for council sessions
- Filing and record-keeping
- Assist with IT resource management and requests
- Assist with onboarding new staff and interns
- Collect and track youth paperwork, including tax information and ID verification
- Set up youth profiles in human resource information system
- Distribute payment cards to youth
- Other duties as assigned
At least one year of college or equivalent combination of education and experience.
One to three years of relevant administrative or operations experience required.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to management projects and meet deadlines
- Experience handling confidential and sensitive data
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to think creatively
- Interface with students, staff, and community leaders
- Collaboration and support of all staff as needed
- A strong belief in the potential of youth, as well as a commitment to youth power and voice is key
- Ability to work independently as well as on a team
Compensation and Benefits
This is a part-time position for approximately 30 hours per week. The pay for this position is $20-$25 per hour, commensurate with experience. This position is not benefits eligible.
How to Apply
Please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Operations Coordinator (Temporary)” in the subject line. Please, no phone calls. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Mikva Challenge is an equal opportunity employer and we highly value diversity in our workplace. Mikva Challenge provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, political affiliation, marital status, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors.
Applicants from historically underrepresented and/or marginalized communities, including people of color, are strongly encouraged to apply.