Office Location: This position will be hybrid, working both in the Chicago, IL office as well as remotely, engaging with staff and stakeholders through virtual platforms. This position is not eligible for paid relocation.
Schedule: Part Time – Independent Contractor will work up to 15 hours per week between November 6, 2023 and April 12, 2024.
Mikva Challenge is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization whose mission is to develop youth to be empowered, informed, and active citizens and community members who will promote a just and equitable society. We do this by engaging youth in Action Civics, an authentic and transformative learning process built on youth voice and youth expertise. Youth in Mikva’s programming experience unique civic learning opportunities in political campaigns, public policy advocacy, government internships, and youth activism programs. Our approaches include direct youth work, teacher support, and liaising with civic leaders and institutions. We believe strongly in the potential of youth and are committed to youth power and voice.
Mikva Challenge evaluations show the lasting impact of its programs.
- 82% of students reported an increase in their civic knowledge.
- 77% of students developed their sense of civic agency and increased their future commitment to civic action.
- 83% of students took on new civic leadership.
- 79% of students reported gains in their socio-emotional skills — many of which have direct academic outcomes.
About the Role
Mikva Challenge is seeking a part-time contractor to manage a database of student and school information to facilitate the application process of over 1,500 students for student election judge roles in Chicago.
The Contractor will provide the following services:
- In collaboration with the Elections in Action (EIA) Manager, maintain regular communication with Chicago teachers/staff (Coordinators) about Student Election Judge information for the IL Primary on March 19, 2024;
- Send weekly emails to Coordinators updating them on their student application data, invitations to Mikva events, and other pertinent details;
- Collect and track coordinator stipend agreements and analyze data for payments;
- Send weekly reminders to students and coordinators about paperwork, Election Day, and FAQs. These reminders will be sent daily beginning the week before Election Day;
- Collect and organize principal approval forms from all schools with students who applied;
- Provide the EIA Manager with regular updates on progress, flagging any issues that may require additional capacity, troubleshooting, or escalation;
- Update the Coordinator Dashboard utilizing Google CoLab (python coding) to maintain the list of students who have applied to serve as student election judges;
- Provide Coordinators with timely information on the status of students’ paperwork, sign up requirements, trainings, principal permission, parental permission slips, etc.;
- Support the EIA Manager to host Virtual Q&A sessions for students;
- Maintain FAQ document for students and Coordinators;
- Create and maintain a custom Google Map of student polling locations placements for staff and volunteers to visit on Election Day;
- Maintain the student judges shared Google Drive, phone line, and email account, replying to and/or forwarding messages within 48 hours;
- Create a test application on the student judge portal to mirror the student experience, allowing the team to troubleshoot issues that arise during the application process;
- Other related tasks as assigned.
- Experience in data management, project management, customer service, education, or organizing.
- Previous experience and knowledge of Python coding/Google CoLab required.
- Proficiency with Google Suite is required.
- Knowledge of Chicago high schools is preferred.
This contract position will pay $20/ hour. The role is not benefits eligible.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Student Judge (Contractor)” in the subject line. No phone calls will be accepted! Review of applications will begin immediately. Candidates should be prepared to provide three professional references upon request.
Deadline for applicant submissions is October 15, 2023.
Please note that due to the number of applications we receive, we will only respond to those candidates whom we would like to invite to interview for the position.
Mikva Challenge is an equal opportunity employer and we highly value diversity in our workplace. Mikva Challenge provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, political affiliation, marital status, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors.
Applicants from historically underrepresented and/or marginalized communities, including people of color, are strongly encouraged to apply.