Position Title: Summer Operations Coordinator
Location: Mikva Challenge Illinois — Chicago, IL
Reports to: Assistant Director of Finance
Schedule: Part-time Temporary (May to August 2021)
I. About the Organization
Mikva Challenge is a nonpartisan, nonprofit organization whose mission is to develop community leaders and engaged, informed, active citizens. We are a dynamic youth empowerment agency that provides high school students with unique civic learning opportunities and hands-on experiences in political campaigns, public policy advocacy, government internships, and youth activism programs. Named for Chicago leaders Abner and Zoe Mikva, the organization has grown quickly in its 21 years and now serves 100,000 students annually in Chicago, Southern California, and Washington, D.C. Since our founding, Mikva Challenge’s mission and work has centered around supporting and promoting the voices, concerns and solutions of youth of color. Through our Action Civics programs, we provide the tools, support and platforms for young people to share their lived experiences with adults and key decision-makers so that our democracy can better represent and serve their needs and communities. All along, there has been an implicit understanding that creating tools, pathways and platforms for youth of color to be empowered civic leaders will lead to a more just and equitable society.
II. About the Position
The Summer Operations Coordinator will support the day-to-day operational aspects of Mikva summer programs, including collecting youth employment documents, signed MOUs from employers/worksites, reviewing timesheets, and other items.
This is a part-time temporary position starting in May 2021 and continuing through the end of August 2021. Due to Mikva Challenge’s observance of COVID-19 precautions, the person hired for this position will report to the downtown Chicago office one day per week, and engage with staff and stakeholders through virtual platforms the remainder of the time.
The Operations Coordinator must be a highly skilled administrative professional capable of providing a wide range of support services to the Assistant Director of Finance and Executive management. The Operations Coordinator must be flexible, extremely efficient, organized, resourceful and able to function well in a fast-paced environment. This position requires the ability to exercise independent judgment and strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to interface with many personalities under the supervision of the Assistant Director of Finance.
III. Essential Responsibilities and Functions
- Collecting and tracking youth paperwork, including tax information and ID verification
- Setting up youth profiles in human resource information system
- Distributing payment cards to youth
- Collecting MOUs for worksites for Mikva Summer Fellows
- Coordinating and meeting with Mikva Summer Fellows interns and team
- Maintaining and reviewing documents for grant compliance
- Ordering and inventory of supply requests for council sessions
- Fulfilling transit card requests for council sessions
- Assisting with basic monthly accounting tasks including accounts payable, credit card management, cash receipts, and reconciliation
- Filing and record-keeping
- Assisting with IT resource management and requests
- Assisting with onboarding new staff and interns
- Providing basic administrative assistance and serving as back-up to Operations team
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Organization skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Project Management
- Organizational and Administrative skills
- Handling of confidential materials
- Excellent communications skills
- Interfacing with students, staff, and community leaders
- Collaboration and support of all staff as needed
- Emotional Intelligence
- A strong belief in the potential of youth, as well as a commitment to youth power and voice is key.
- Enthusiasm, energy, flexibility, and the ability to work independently as well as on a team are also important qualities.
- Demonstrating and inspiring cooperation, collaboration, reliability, and professionalism
- Working effectively in changing situations and with diverse groups and issues
- Inspiring individual and organizational excellence
- Establishing and maintaining professional contacts to build, enhance, and connect networks to Mikva Challenge
VI. Compensation and Benefits
This is a part-time position for approximately 30 hours per week. The pay for this position is $20-$25 per hour, commensurate with experience.
VII. How to Apply
Please mail your resume and cover letter to: HumanResources@mikvachallenge.org with “Summer Operations Coordinator” in the subject line. No phone calls will be accepted! Review of applications will begin immediately.
Candidates should be prepared to offer three professional references upon request. Candidates will be required to complete a fingerprinted background check prior to hire.
At Mikva Challenge, we celebrate difference and are committed to providing equitable opportunities, addressing the effects of power and privilege. Mikva Challenge is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, political affiliation, marital status, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors. We want to create an empowering space to change lives!
Applicants from historically underrepresented and/or marginalized communities, including people of color, are strongly encouraged to apply.